Monday, December 27, 2021

Fred Jackson Jr - GENRE (December 2021)

In 2020 I was awarded the “New works, Fresh Voices” grant. This allowed me to give a call to people that I’ve worked with in the past or had some sort of musical relationship with. For instance Dana Hall (Dr.) was a college professor of mine when I went back to school to get my masters of music (2012-14). Joshua Ramos and Corey Wilkes whom I’ve worked with since I moved to Chicago in 2001. I’ve been a member in Dee Alexander and Maggie Brown’s bands in the past. Dee and Maggie always use Miguel Dela Cerna. I totally understand why now. This is why I asked him to play on more tracks. Isaiah Collier is a new friend that I met over at Vincent Davis’ house. Once we played together there was instant chemistry. I wanted to capture some of that. There is another recording coming out of this with different songs and musicians. During the beginning of the pandemic and all through the shut downs, I wrote over 30 songs. It’s like the world slowed down enough for me to actually write out things I hear. Now I can’t stop. Not complaining:)

The themes in these songs are centered around inspirations and dedications. All the songs were inspired by people who have left an impression on me. I call it Genre because the letters spell different words when you switch them around.

“Genre” New Album Concept (2021)
Genre / Erneg / Negre / Regne

Interesting to me… but also a genre is a category of artistic composition. This is how I hear, this is my Genre. I tried to blur the lines and tell a story about Love and Family as I reminisced through 2020 - 2021. There are no lines really, only stories and perspectives.

F. Jackson Jr 
1. Expose' interlude (feat. Isaiah Collier, Dana Hall & Fred Jackson Jr) 01:30
2. Fred Jackson Jr - All Night Long (feat. Dee Alexander) 04:30
3. Retort (Return of The Moors) feat. Corey Wilkes (trumpet) 06:38
4. Hemphill (Blues at 4:20 (feat. Miguel Dela Cerna) 06:06
5. Those Were Days (feat. Maggie Brown) 04:37
6. Put A Sock In It (feat. Dana Hall & Fred Jackson Jr) 04:43
7. Expose' (feat. Isaiah Collier ; Dana Hall ; Joshua Ramos ; Fred Jackson Jr) 05:00
8. All Night Long Interlude (feat. Fred Jackson Jr) 00:52
9. Long Story, Shorter (feat. Fred Jackson Jr) 04:27
10. Dane Dane (feat. Dana Hall ; Joshua Ramos) 05:45

Joshua Ramos (bass)
Dana Hall (drums)
Miguel Dela Cerna appears on all tracks except Expose’

Special guest:
Dee Alexander (vocals)
Maggie Brown (vocals)
Corey Wilkes (trumpet)
Isaiah Collier (tenor sax)