20 is the fourth independently released album from the Toronto Jazz Orchestra (TJO). Recorded in May, 2017 at Revolution Recording in Toronto, it showcases the composition and arranging work of TJO Artistic Director Josh Grossman. 20 is a celebration of both the TJO’s 20th anniversary, and of Grossman’s evolution as an Artistic Director, composer, and arranger.
The seven original compositions and one arrangement featured on 20 were all written by Grossman between 2009 and 2016, with the most recent work (Georgie and Rose) completed specifically for this recording. The album's repertoire reflects in part the range of musical influences that inform Grossman’s approach to programming and composing: traditional big band swing, funk, rock, hip hop, samba, and free jazz.
Josh Grossman Photo (c) Marie Byers
• Brad’s Prudence, an arrangement of Dear Prudence, based on Brad Mehldau’s performance of the tune
• 4 PN, a four-movement suite inspired by Phil Nimmons, loosely based on his Atlantic Suite (and other Nimmons compositions), and written in celebration of his 90th birthday
• Reflection, a ballad inspired in part by the passing of Grossman's grandfather, but more generally by any life event which gives us pause
• The Blob, a funk/rock tune which aims to capture the excitement and trepidation of becoming a parent
The production team for 20 features some of the most respected personnel in Toronto. JUNO Award-winning bassist Roberto Occhipinti, who has served as a personal mentor of Grossman's for many years, is the album’s Producer; JUNO Award-winning John “Beetle” Bailey engineered and mixed; Peter Letros, former Chief Mastering Engineer at Sony Music Canada, handled the mastering.
TJO Photo (c) Hyunwoo Hwang (Oh Happy Day Photography)
20 will be released worldwide on Friday, June 22nd 2018.
1. Georgie and Rose
2. Brad’s Prudence
3. 4PN, mvt. I: The Land of 2 and 4
4. 4PN, mvt. II: Under a Treeful
5. 4 PN, mvt. III: Birdsong
6. 4PN, mvt. IV: Flat 10 Strikes Again
8. The Blob
Josh Grossman - Artistic Director / Conductor
Steve Dyte, James Rhodes, Alexander Brown, John Pittman
Todd Elsliger - Guitar
Carissa Neufeld - Piano
Mark Godfrey - Bass
Ben Ball - Drums
Luis Orbegoso - Percussion