Monday, December 27, 2021

Elmar Krick - Based on (December 2021)

This record was inspired by the first four notes of a Sonny Rollins solo on Almost Like Being in Love. That short musical cell ignited my imagination and made me write a full-fledged tune over the song’s harmonic structure.

By moving beyond this mere contrafactual approach I discovered a much more original compositional style.

Writing music based on hearing the material that is out there on a granular level, digesting it, evolving it, transforming it and integrating it, and thus making it my music and my style gave me the feeling of a profound connection to this art form called Jazz and its masters past and present.

1. Mrs. C.K. - Based on The Source 04:38
2. Farther than the Sun - Based on East of the Sun 05:21
3. Chicory con Karma - Based on Cherokee 04:37
4. Day Gig - Based on the oeuvre of Don Grolnick 09:12
5. Almost Like Beijing in Laim - Based on Almost like Being in Love 04:18
6. The Sweetest Tea - Based on Sugar 06:11
7. My Writing Hour - Based on My Shining Hour 06:06
8. A Year in A Flat - Based on Reflections 06:27
9. I Love Music 04:57

Elmar Krick - ts, bs
Matthias Preissinger - p, rhodes
Peter Cudek - b
Harald Rüschenbaum - dr

Written, arranged and produced by Elmar Krick, except Track 9 which was composed by Hale Smith.
Recorded and mixed by Florian Oestreicher
Mastered by Christoph Stickel

Artist photography by Konstantin Kern
Background photo and artwork by Elmar Krick