Sunday, July 11, 2021

Jaleel Shaw - Echoes (July 2021)

This recording was made in my home. It documents my thoughts and ideas while being isolated for a whole year during pandemic of 2020/21. I’d recently begun recording myself practice songs and ideas with my phone, which eventually led to me plugging a mic into my computer, hitting record, and seeing where my ideas took me.

I’ve meditated on so many things during this pandemic. From losing my friend/mentors Lee Konitz, Jimmy Heath, and teacher Rayburn Wright recently, to the deaths of Breonna Taylor and one of my favorite artists - MF doom, learning about the Tulsa Massacre and Black Wall St., constantly worrying and thinking about my mother, remembering all of the amazing places I’d traveled to to perform before this pandemic (specifically an opportunity I got to travel to Morocco and play at the Gnawa Festival), and most importantly - focusing on the light at the end of this isolated tunnel and trying to stay as positive as I can be.

Here’s to the future… and life….

1. Lee 03:10
2. Breonna 03:05
3. Tulsa 02:57
4. Improvisation for Mom 02:58
5. Temesgen 04:40
6. On Being Invisible 02:28
7. DOOM 01:57
8. Silence 02:58
9. Isolation 07:36

Jaleel Shaw: Alto Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone (tracks 3 & 8), & Pedals
Recorded at: Jaleel's home.
Mixed and Mastered by Mike Perez Cisneros
Photo: Yusuke Yamanouchi
Artwork: Jaleel Shaw