Monday, February 8, 2016

James Hughes & Jimmy Smith Quintet - Ever Up & Onward (2015)


Label: Self Released
Source: Cdbaby


Audio Culture (J. Smith)
This is tune that I wrote a few years back. It was inspired by one of my biggest personal influences, the late, great Woody Shaw.

Dots (J. Hughes)
This song is like a sugar rush, bursts of color and playful energy.  I think we all need that from time to time.  When I wrote this, it reminded me of the sound and feeling of laughter when musicians get together.

Luca's Interlude (J. Hughes)
For Luca Iio, who caused us to reschedule our second recording session.  Welcome to the world baby Luca!

East Detroit (J. Smith)
East Detroit is a recent composition, inspired by the astonishing musical spirit of our drummer, Nate Winn. Detroit is incredibly fortunate to have so many world class musicians on the scene and Nate is among the very best. His unique vibe can only come from a true Detroiter.

There Is A Balm in Gilead (African-American Traditional/Arr. J. Hughes)
I grew up in the church, always sang in the choirs and played piano for them, even did a ten year stint as choir director.  This has long been one of my favorite spirituals.  It deals with our experiences, pains and hardships, to which we often shake our head and ask, “is there no remedy?”

Drum Intro
We though it would be appropriate to have Nate Winn set the energy for Viridian.

Viridian (J. Hughes)
It is not just the color green, but a philosophical movement.  I wrote this tune using monochromatic harmony and shifting harmonic meters.  Instead of a melody driving the piece, I emphasized harmony and harmonic rhythm which resulted in a tune that is reminiscent of an impressionistic painting.  Read More...


1. Audio Culture
2. Dots
3. Luca's Interlude
4. East Detroit
5. There Is a Balm in Gilead
6. Drum Intro
7. Viridian
8. Zebras, Penguins and Bunny Rabbits
9. Keepin' It Real
10. Transgender Fender Bender
11. I'll Remember April
12. I'll Close My Eyes
Jimmy Smith - trumpet
James Hughes - saxophones
Phil Kelly - piano
Takashi Iio - bass
Nate Winn - drums


BUY THIS ALBUM