Friday, June 4, 2021

AVAILABLE NOW: Fatoumata Diawara | "Ambè"

Fatoumata Diawara Assembles
a Revered Cast of Female Musicians
from Around the World for "Ambè"
 
Video Underlines the Importance of
a World Without Borders
in Difficult and Challenging Times

Artists Include Angelique Kidjo, Dianne Reeves,
China Moses, Inna Modja, Somi, Mayra Andrade,
Thandiswa Mazwai & Terri Lyne Carrington

‘Ambè’ meaning ‘altogether’ in Bambara, underlines the importance of harmony and togetherness in difficult and challenging times, a theme that celebrated Malian artist Fatoumata Diawara often explores in her work. During the first lockdown Diawara enlisted the help of revered female musicians Angelique Kidjo, Dianne Reeves, China Moses, Inna Modja, Somi, Mayra Andrade, Thandiswa Mazwai and Terri Lyne Carrington to collaborate on "Ambè" which is available now. This unique video collaboration between female artists of African origin or descent sends a message of cooperation and a world without borders. She invited each musician to contribute vocals and lyrics to a verse on the song and the parts were recorded remotely before being mixed together.

“The idea for the song came to me during the first lock down. Countries were closing their borders because of the pandemic and I was very afraid. I was like, ‘what should I do? what can I do? could we do something together?’. Though I was very afraid, at the same time I felt a huge amount of hope." explains Diawara. "Hope for me has always come through my guitar and my voice. The first thing I did was to cry and that always makes me feel better. The second thing was to sing and put a smile back on my face. I then had the idea to write a song to remind us all that no matter what colour you are, which country you come from, if you’re rich or poor, a doctor or poor person on the street, we are all equal and all the same. COVID reminds us that we are all one and that we should fight for love instead of fighting over our differences. I didn't want to write and record it alone, so I called out to women, my sisters. I would love for others to join in, perhaps 1000 women and we will keep singing to remind people that we are all one and this mentality will save future generations” concludes Diawara.

"Ambè" a stand-alone and non-commercial release only available on YouTube and social media.

For more information on Fatoumata Diawara, please visit: