Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Orange Julius - Introducing Orange Julius and The Big Beat (2015)



All my life I've only known music.


My name is Julius and I am 17 years old. I've been playing music all my life and love it. I began studying classical piano while teaching myself drums at the age of 4, began playing regularly in my church at 9, and was enrolled into the Manhattan School of Music Precollege Division where I have previously studied classical piano, and currently study jazz piano, drums, and composition.

My hard work has earned me recognition from the Charles Mingus High School Festival & Competition, Downbeat Student Music Awards, NAACP ACT-SO (Academic, Cultural, Technological, and Science Olympics), the Next Generation Jazz Festival High School Competition, and NFAA's YoungArts.

I have had the wonderful priviledge to study under and work with many great musicians and teachers including: John Senakwami, Ubaldo Díaz-Acosta, Jeremy Mansia, Richard Huntley, Kenny Washington, Craig Weinrib, Sean Nowell, Ku-umba Frank Lacy, Wycliffe Gordon, Terrell Stafford, Dayna Stephens, Terri-Lyne Carrington, Jay Azzolina, Benny Green, Javon Jackson, Don Sickler, Ted Nash, Curtis Fuller, Marcus Printup, Jimmy Heath, Jason Moran, Todd Coolman, the Mingus Big Band, and many more.


My debut album, Introducing Orange Julius and the Big Beat, us now available on iTunes. Spotify, and Bandcamp.









1. New Road 06:11
2. Orion 06:41
3. Fantasy In G 05:23
4. Cruzin' Hughes 06:27
5. Never Been 05:34
6. Phase One 04:37
7. Cedar Street 06:56

Released September 27, 2015 

Wallace Roney Jr.-Trumpet 
Coleman Hughes-Trombone 
Ryan Park-Chan-Tenor Saxophone 
Isaiah J. Thompson-Piano 
Nick Dunston-Bass 
Julius Rodriguez-Drums 

Recorded by Tom Tedesco at Tedesco Studios, Paramus, NJ 
Produced by Don Sickler and Julius Rodriguez 
Mixed by Julius Rodriguez 
Photos by Chioma Nwana 

"New Road," "Fantasy In G," "Cruzin' Hughes," and "Cedar Street" written by Julius Rodriguez ©OrangeJuliusMusic 

"Orion," Never Been," and "Phase One," written by Isaiah J. Thompson ©SecondFloorMusic


VÍCTOR
(son of Domi)