Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Malcolm Earle Smith - Vocal Intent (April 22, 2022)

Vocal Intent fulfils Malcolm Earle Smith's long held desire to make a vocal album; in contrast to previous releases, where he is also also featured as trombonist. ‘Leaving my horn respectfully in its case this time has given me more space to develop my vocal style', he says. 'In particular, I've always had a passion for scat singing, and for this recording I've explored making a closer connection between vocal improvisation and the mood of the song'. Vocal Intent also makes a strong connection with Malcolm's passion for teaching. Featured alongside him are four of his former students – all now highly respected artists on the UK jazz scene and beyond. 'My students have always inspired me, and working together on this project has been very special, not to mention a lot of fun!'

'....an electrifying vocal performance which is completely captivating’
- Nick Lea, Jazzviews 2020

1. Stompin' at the Savoy
2. Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams
3. Confirmation
4. Don't take your Love from Me
5. I Had the Craziest Dream
6. Just in Time
7. Time on my Hands
8. Dream Dancing
9. Old Fashioned Love

Malcolm Earle Smith (vocals, leader, arrangements)
Leo Richardson (saxophone)
Chris Eldred (piano)
Conor Chaplin (bass)
Douglas Marriner (drums)

Recording: Nick Taylor at Porcupine Studios, July 18th 2019
Editing, mixing and mastering: Alex Bonney, November 2012/January 2022

Photography: Hollin Jones
Artwork: Rich Stoney