Friday, February 4, 2022

Jami Templeton - The Shape of My Heart (4 February 2022)

“This record brought me back to life. After living through a long battle with chronic lyme disease, and subsequently covid, a dear friend suggested I return to my first love of singing, and to the genre I held so sacred, I was almost afraid to touch it.”

Shortly after returning to Los Angeles in 2021, vocalist Jami Templeton met the musicians who would become her band. After running through dozens of her favourite songs with producer and pianist Andy Langham, Templeton settled on a book of music that helped tell the story she had to tell. Having spent much of her singing life in the world of big, bold arias, Templeton had reached a softer musical phase.

Every piece on this album holds a special meaning for Templeton. Each song, carefully selected from the American songbook, reflects a sliver of time in her life: treasured moments of love, mischief, and heartbreak.
“I’m a Jazz and Blues vocal purist, and Jami’s got it”
-Marion Cowings, Clio Award Winner, Co-Founder of the Vocal Jazz department at NYU

“Her voice is beautiful in any genre. Jami can sing anything”
-Yvette Nicole Brown, Emmy nominated actress

1. Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground (Nelson) 3:42
2. Shape of my Heart (Sumner/Miller) 5:19
3. Can’t Help Lovin’ That Man (Kern/Hammerstein) 3:24
4. Black Velvet (Ward/Tyson) 5:12
5. Let’s Stay Together (Green/Mitchell/Jackson) 6:00
6. Need You Now (Scott/Kelley/Haywood/Kear) 3:42
7. Room at the Top (Petty) 5:16
8. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning (Mann/Hillard/Evans/Kent ) 5:36
9. Ain’t Misbehavin’ (Waller) 3:11
10. I Fall in Love Too Easily (Styne/Cahn) 3:33
11. The Dance (Arata) 5:44

Joel Frahm - Tenor Saxophone
Andy Langham - Piano & Melodica
Edwin Livingston - Bass
Charles Ruggiero - Drums

The Shape of My Heart will be released worldwide on Friday, February 4th 2022