Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Stephen Godsall - We could fix everything (November 15, 2021 Jazz'Halo)

At the start of 2021 I had an idea to make the best of "lockdown" by beginning remote recordings with some of my favourite musicians - including some I had yet to meet. Mike Hall was enthusiastic about the idea and brought Steve Waterman on board; this was the core of my "dream band". We tried out several singers and for the 4 songs on this album Sara Harris turned out to have the perfect voice. Thanks to all the brilliant musicians who joined me on this venture!

After my very eclectic "Atlantic skies" album in 2020 I decided to concentrate on jazz idioms this time and build in space for improvisation and syncopation. The tunes explore both musical and personal ideas which are described in the notes for each track.

1. Postcard
2. We could fix everything
3. Mr Thomas
4. Expresso bongo
5. It will get brighter
6. Five rivers met on a wooded plain
7. Don't look down
8. Eryri
9. Poetic off-licence
10. The last hillwalker
11. The new me

Sara Harris, vocals
Steve Waterman, trumpet, flugelhorn
Sarah Bolter, flute
Mike Hall, tenor and soprano saxes, bass clarinet, wind synth
Diane Annear, piccolo
Joe Limburn, double bass
Sarah Abbott, baritone sax
Ian Ellis, tenor sax on track 10
Andrew Godsall, drums
Stephen Godsall, guitars, bass guitar, ukulele, organ, percussion

Cover photo by Ria Sopala

All tracks composed by Stephen Godsall