Friday, October 22, 2021

Paolo Gaiba Riva - Expeditions (October 22, 2021 WE INSIST! Records)

Since 2014 I’ve had the luck, possibility (and guts?) to dedicate my life to exploring some parts of the world, driven both by curiosity and needs.

The chosen way (the only one possible, for me) has been to undertake long tours. Jumping on this adventure, with no idea of what to expect, requires open brain, ears and good adaptability.

What I have found since, is an endless count of good and bad experiences (which would not have probably happened as much, if I’d stayed at home).

The people and the different cultures with whom I’ve had the pleasure to collaborate, have changed my point of view on many things (which would not have probably happened if I stayed home). Moreover, I will never forget how kindly I have been welcomed by complete strangers, who eventually became friends.

The way some people manage to keep going, with more or less issues, is remarkable. In these cases all the crap happening in the world seems like it vanishes and what remains reaches a fulfilling empathy brought in not only by music related situations (concerts, festivals and recording sessions), but also by simply chitchatting, going out for food, walking around.

What we do is pushed forward by our necessities. Apparently hard listening sounds, in order to awake, isolate, risk, protest, ask, celebrate, cure, inform, annoy, pray…

I heartily thank the musicians I’ve had the pleasure to collaborate with and whoever hosted, invited and organized an event, walked, loved, hated and travelled beside. I wish you all the best in life.

I acknowledge that what I do is good for nothing and that by traveling I support a system that is enemy to all (which would not have probably happened if I stayed home).

Time to stop all this will come…

1. Lost between the temple and... 01:30
2. You always come back here 04:17
3. Fatal allergy 03:28
4. Toi même 05:42
5. When you start thinking it's... 01:57
6. No need to talk 04:23
7. It's rainy and we keep on... 02:27
8. In the wood 04:37
9. Do everything or nothing 04:18
10. Almost there 03:57
11. Vaijè en la Puna 02:14
12. Y al final 03:53

Music by the musicians who played it
Liner notes by P.G.R.
Cover painting by Kim Bomi 2018, ink on paper
Inside photo by P.G.R. - Akita, Japan, 17.12.2017
Mixed and mastered by Gianmaria Aprile
Edited by Gianmaria Aprile, P. G. R. and Giancarlo Locatelli