Saturday, May 8, 2021

Dan Karlsberg Trio - All In (May 8, 2021)

The Long Lost Trio Album of Dan, Steve, and Anthony:

Several years back I decided to have my friends Steve and Anthony come back from Brooklyn to play a few gigs and go into the studio to record us playing. We had done two previous albums together, but not exclusively as a trio. Our chemistry together was evident the very first time we played together, and in many ways, our sound hadn't changed since. Steve and Anthony give me the freedom to create however I want, as if I am playing by myself and can move in any direction I choose. This is very rare. And I believe it is a mutual feeling between the three of us.

So knowing we hadn't made strictly a trio album, it felt important to me to be able to capture this groups chemistry. I knew that we played best with out any preconceived ideas. I just called tunes we all knew, or I brought in some simple themes for us to improvise with (which was the case for John Coltrane's Consequences). Steve Whipple had these different launching points, or little games to play, for us to create free improvisations. Some of which sound like complete songs (which is the case for the improvisation I titled Bruce Lee). We recorded many takes in 2 days. At night, we played at the Blue Wisp here in Cincinnati. I whittled it down to 9 tracks that I have turned into the album, Dan Karlsberg Trio: "All In"

-Dan Karlsberg

1. All In 01:16
2. Rhythm-A-Ning 06:29
3. Consequences 03:18
4. Bruce Lee 02:54
5. Nutty 03:57
6. Whipple & "T" Time 01:20
7. Blue Monk 07:37
8. Epilogue 02:01
9. Camptown Races 04:07

Dan Karlsberg - piano, ukulele (track 9 only)
Steve Whipple - bass
Anthony "T" Lee - drums