Saturday, March 6, 2021

Zoe Scott – Shades Of Love (2021)

“With Shades of Love, vocalist Zoe Scott artfully blends shades of jazz and bossa nova into a vivid musical portrait of love, longing and romance. . . .
These songs are sung from the heart.”
“You can’t help but connect with this album . . .”
—JAZZIZ

Shades of Love is a meticulously curated collection of 12 hit songs, reimagined, by international recording artist, Zoe Scott, and produced by Bossa Nova stalwart and 10X Grammy and 2X Emmy winning, Moogie Canazio.

Zoe honors the authentic style and original sound cultivated by Bossa Nova originators João Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim, enlisting the talents of Bossa Nova legends, guitarist-arranger Torcuato Mariano, and Daniel Jobim, grandson of Antonio Carlos Jobim. Daniel is a featured performer on two of his grandfather’s most iconic songs; dueting with Zoe on “Wave,” and playing piano on “Quiet Nights.”

Along with these two beloved Bossa Nova classics, Zoe reimagined iconic songs originally recorded by Stevie Wonder, Amy Winehouse, The Beatles and more, including: “I’ll Stand By You,” made famous by Chrissie Hynde; “This Girl’s In Love With You” written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, recorded by Herb Alpert; “7 Lives,” an intimate anniversary gift written by Brazilan, Zé Ricardo, to his wife.

Shades of Love is Zoe’s love letter to Brazil’s iconic music. This is the music the world needs now: an invitation to be transported to a place and time where feeling love is an artform.
In her past life as an indie rocker in black leather, Zoe Scott never imagined recording an album like Shades of Love. Bossa nova is a radical departure for British- born Zoe Scott, “I remember the hard edges of it all. I loved it at first — the angst, the power, the energy, but simultaneously, I recall how boxed in I felt,” says Zoe, “I remember the moment I felt ‘this isn’t me anymore’ and I started a journey of self-discovery and healing. With that came new artistic expressions and new ways to see, and receive love. When I first heard Antonio Carlos Jobim, I was swept away. “I felt his soul through his music; through Bossa Nova and that was it. I had to make this album.”

Pressing inward, Zoe plunged heart first on a mission to find, and express the freedom, sensuality, and romance she was drawn to through Bossa Nova. Each of the 12 songs on Shades of Love is a vignette; a chapter in her life’s book, and an expression of what she calls, “feeling in.

In her journey from performing original indie rock to Bossa Nova covers, she embraces an expansive, openhearted vulnerability she had never experienced before, and in the process, connected her craft with who she was becoming as a person. “Bossa Nova taught me that there is life in the quiet spaces. I find peace, love, and joy there. It’s my hope this album opens the doors to the hearts of anyone who listens.”

1. Quiet Nights (Antonio Carlos Jobim and Gene Lees) 3:46
2. I’ll Stand By You (Chrissie Hynde, Thomas Kelly, and William Steinberg) 4:08
3. This Girl’s In Love (Burt Bacharach and Hal David) 3:49
4. 7 Lives (Ze Ricardo and Carla Rigolin Hassett) 3:55
5. Wave (Antonio Carlos Jobim) 3:35
6. The More I See You (Harry Warren Mack Gordon) 3:05
7. Baby It’s You (Burt Bacharach, Mack David, Barney Williams) 3:05
8. Once I Loved (Antonio Carlos Jobim, Vinicius de Demoraes and Ray Gilbert) 4:18
9. My Cherie Amour (Stevie Wonder, Henry Cosby, and Sylvia Moy) 3:31
10. In My Life (John Lennon and Paul McCartney) 3:02
11. Triste (Antonio Carlos Jobim) 4:09
12. You Know I’m No Good (Amy Winehouse) 4:01

Zoe Scott - Vocals
Torcuato Mariano - Acoustic & Electric Guitar, Synths, B3, Orchestra Arrangements
Paulo Calasans - Fender Rhodes
Andre Vasconcelos - Bass
Felipe Alves - Drums
Daniel Jobim - Acoustic Piano (1), Vocals (5)
Bill Brendle - Synth (10), Orchestra Arrangements (4, 9)
Tim Pierce - Electric Guitar (2, 12)
Rodrigo Sha - Clarinet (4)
Marlon Sette - Trombone (6)
Jesse Sadoc - Flugelhorn (7)
Steve Tavaglione - EWI (8)
Felipe Melanio e Viny Melanio - Bass Guitar (2, 9, 11)