Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Miller Wrenn - Because Change is the Law (March 2021)

This past year I've been drawn to a much less formal mode of music-making, certainly out of necessity, which offered me an opportunity to focus on solo playing in a way I hadn't before.

The process of getting to this music was long. I did my best to let it unfold organically, gently, and I hear that energy reflected in the music. This album, my first of solo pieces, presents sounds that are often small, struggling, hiding behind each other, and/or competing for resonance. It values each sound for what it is and for as long as it needs to be heard.

1. Seeks Knowledge and Doing 04:08
2. Kahguyaht 05:19
3. Speak of the rich years when rainfall was plentiful 02:14
4. Burned at the Bottom 03:51
5. Little By 06:53
6. Muster 02:32

Dedicated to Milford Graves.

Solo contrabass

Recorded January-February 2021 in Los Angeles, Ca.