Monday, November 5, 2018

Sebastian Bailey - Ensemble de Magnac (November 9, 2018)


This ensemble features original jazz compositions arranged for six horns and rhythm section, including a vocalist and vibraphone on selected numbers. The name ‘de Magnac’ is my second middle name. It refers to part of my heritage which, to this day, remains somewhat obscure to me. My connection, however, is with the people it points to - the Huguenots, who fled from France worldwide from the 1500s onwards. I find inspiration in imagining the struggle, resistance and perseverance of this ethno-religious minority as they suffered persecution and alienation for their convictions. Protest, rebellion, fighting for recognition/autonomy and seeking refuge have been recurring themes occupying my thoughts, especially during the years leading up to and throughout the months these pieces were written and recorded. 

Thank you to the musicians for excellence in musicianship, improvising and professionalism, to John Hollenbeck, for breaking things down for me, to Solon, for ideas and timely friendship, to Boris for generosity of time and space, to my mother, for supporting since day one, to Addisu for showing up, to Noah, for waking me up and especially to Benita, for believing this was possible against the odds. 


Finally, this production is dedicated to my father, V.J.R. Bailey who passed away on April 12th, shortly after these recordings were made. My hope is that the incorporation of his most-loved Psalm, as recited by him not long before his final admission to hospital, is as much a gift to you, the listener, as it has been to me. It provides some context for the emotions experienced and expressed in and through Chorale IV. His artistry has never before been as obvious to me as it is now. I am ever grateful for his presence here.

1. Intuition 07:19
2. Lady Justice 05:43
3. Psalm 23 + Chorale IV 06:57
4. Rocking Chair in 3 Sittings 04:57

Sarah Rossy (voice)
Al McLean (tenor sax)
Benjamin Deschamps (baritone sax & bass clarinet)
Andy King (lead trumpet)
Lex French (solo trumpet)
Matthieu Van Vliet (trombone)
Matt Schultz (guitar)
Olivier Salazar (vibraphone)
David Ryshpan (piano/rhodes)
Solon McDade (bass)
Michel Berthiaume (drums)

*In loving memory of V.J.R. Bailey (June 9th, 1937 – April 12th, 2018)

2018 Sebastian Bailey Music. All Rights Reserved

Recorded March 23rd, 2018 at Mixart Studios in Montreal, Canada
Engineered and mixed by Boris Petrowski
Mastered by Guy Hébert at Karisma Audio
Cover Art by Carlo Polidoro Lopez
Design and layout by Leoart

Lyrics for Intuition by Sebastian Bailey
Text of Psalm 23 from the Holy Bible (KJV)
All music composed by Sebastian Bailey (GEMA)