Monday, October 8, 2018

Massimiliano Coclite 4tet - Strange People (ODRADEK RECORDS 2018)


I started to write the tunes recorded on this album many years ago, while I was living in Berlin. I spent much time alone, in a little room on the east side. The ideas came easily, but I never imagined that an album would come of it many years later. This album means a lot to me: it emerged from many years of trouble, from many different causes. What’s more, this is the first of my albums on which I only play the piano and don’t sing.
Massimiliano Coclite

Italian jazz pianist Massimiliano Coclite presents Strange People, a collection of deeply personal works which have evolved over time, the album’s concept coalescing during the recording process itself.


The musicians collaborating on this release – Stefano ‘Cocco’ Cantini saxophones, Ares Tavolazzi bass, Marcello Di Leonardo drums – share a similar vision of how the music should breathe, creating a soft, spaciousness of sound, drawing the listener into a musical journey of bewitching musical narratives. This is music of mystery, of strangers meeting, of enigmatic feelings hinted at but not always expressed; of introspection and intrigue. A haunting, crepuscular soundworld of seductive, dark-hued beauty.