Sunday, September 16, 2018

John Ray Trio - The Birthday Gig (2018)


This was recorded at my regular Thursday gig, at a small jazz club in Winston-Salem called Southside. My regular drummer, Jonathan Greene, couldn't make the gig, so I called up Kassem Williams. I'd never played with him before but seen him play a few times and really dug playing with him. Also, Stephen Riley, my FAVORITE tenor sax player in the world, and, objectively, one of the best in the world, showed up and sat in on the last three tunes. Unfortunately it was my birthday and I'd been drinking already, so I feel like I played a little sloppy. But this recording turned out great and I'm overall very happy with the show.

1. Intro 01:53
2. McCoy - feat. Stephen Riley 13:12
3. Afro Blue 10:32
4. Little Sunflower - feat. Stephen Riley 17:24
5. Impressions 10:47
6. Afro Two -feat. Nishah Dimeo and Stephen Riley 17:29
7. Butterfly 11:42

Michael Kinchen, keys
Kassem Williams, drums
Stephen Riley, tenor sax
Nishah Dimeo, vocals
John Daniel Ray, bass

Recorded, mixed and mastered by John Daniel Ray
©2018 Mr. Haircut