Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Shaun Martin - Focus (ROPEADOPE RECORDS 2018)


Focus: A point of concentration 

I think that the piano is one of the most intriguing instruments of the world because it can pull so many emotions at one time. Happy, sad, glad, angry, passionate, you can emote them all from the piano. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that I am still a piano player. I have to remind myself that I did start playing the piano at the age of 4 and I did study Beethoven as well as Bill Evans and George Frederick Handel as well as Herbie Hancock and I’m not just one- dimensional. 

This record reminds me to focus on who I am and where I started. No pitch-bended notes, no modulation wheel, just pure piano and emotion as well as the thought of pure music that can’t be traded. Wrong notes, out of tune, whatever, this album reminds me to focus on the purity of the instruments and the authenticity of music. From beginning to end, every idea is as pure as the instruments they are played on.Every thought is as pure as every mistake. My prayer, is that, the feeling is translated to the listener and enjoyed by all.