Monday, March 19, 2018

Hegarty / Steinbeck / Robles - HSR. Live. (2018)


This album was recorded live on February 20, 2018 in Davis Music Hall at Principia College. The music features analog audio tape loops of excerpts of speeches or writings of three women's rights advocates. The tape recorder is visible behind Paul's bass. When I introduced the piece, I told the audience it just seemed like this is something that needs to be said today. 

I interactively controlled the level of the tape loops with a mixer. Additionally, I performed samples of Charlie Parker and Art Pepper solos using a Wacom tablet controlling a Kyma Capybara. We received a standing ovation and decided to play a short encore.

1. HSR Live, Sojourner Truth: “Ain't I A Woman” read by Ashna Rodjan 15:47
2. HSR Live, Fannie Lou Hamer 15:50
3. HSR Live, Nikki Giovanni: “Talk to Me Poem, I Think I've Got the Blues” 19:17
4. HSR Live: encore 06:49

James Hegarty, piano and electronics
Paul Steinbeck, bass
Shane Del Robles, drums