Friday, March 16, 2018

I Hold the Lion's Paw: The Brunswick Green Bootlegs - Vol. 1 (2018)


The Brunswick Green Bootlegs - Vol. 1 is the second live release from the Australian psychedelic jazz collective I Hold the Lion's Paw. The album features three full-length improvised sets recorded in 2017 during IHTLP's continuing residency at the iconic Melbourne bar, The Brunswick Green. 

Each set features a different lineup of internationally acclaimed musicians who have assembled to dissect, abstract and (re)bind composed material into single-take long-form improvisations and electro-acoustic remixes. Expect to hear anything from harmonious free-floating melodies, electro-acoustic noise, slowly shifting tectonic plates of sound, grungy grooves, afro-beat and free jazz. 

IHTLP’s leader and composer Reuben Lewis says “I have always wanted to develop a band that could traverse any of the sound worlds I inhabit, and to go one further, bring these worlds together in a way that enables a constantly evolving dialogue through improvisation. I Hold the Lion's Paw is the conduit for this concept and 'Vol. 1' captures us at our most raw, fearless and groovy moments in our musical home, The Brunswick Green." 

I hold the Lion’s Paw 
Whenever I dance. 

I know the ecstasy of the falcon’s wings 
When they make love against the sky, 

And the sun and moon 
Sometimes argue over 
Who will tuck me in at night. 

If you think I am having more fun 
Than anyone on this planet 
You are absolutely correct.

- Hafez

1. #8 35:54
2. #9 40:26
3. #11 46:28

Jordan Murray - trombone
Scott McConnachie - saxophones
Geoff Hughes - guitar
Ronny Ferella - drums
Dave Brown - electric bass
Tom Lee - acoustic bass

Recorded by Reuben Lewis
Mastered by Myles Mumford
Artwork by Daniel Kim


A Melbourne based trumpeter, composer & improviser. Reuben's practice is both a singular & eclectic new voice in Australian music.