Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Olivier Le Goas - Reciprocity (2016) BAUER STUDIOS



"Olivier Legoas has once again put together a group of musicians who are sympathetic to his musical vision. Together they pull out the magic that is inherent in the compositions. Individually they shine, but collectively they go beyond the established confines of their instruments to make a sound that is highly personal and satisfying. Olivier's democratic leadership allows for this to happen and establishes an environment where each musician's contribution is on equal footing. A perfect storm for modern creative music."
- Larry Grenadier



"It was early in 2014. My septet album was released in the autumn of the previous year. 
I had a project for my next album to record new music that I had already started to write some. I wanted to go back to a smaller size, in small groups without still have very specific ideas about line-up including.

I had already listened to Nir in concert club in Paris few years ago, but it is by listening during a promotionnal tour of his latest album I was really charmed by his playing and his music. 

We met again during a stay in Canada. We met around ours respectively compositions, and looking for a guitar player I pretty quickly asked him if he wanted to participate in the recording of my new album that I prepared, and I was planning to carry out the following year. I also spoke to him of Bauer Studios where I really wanted to record the album. After he accepted we decided together then immediately the agreed period. 

Oliver continues on the next steps including the choice of other group member: 

"I noticed that many of the groups, and music, I listened, and loved, was including a guitar and a piano. I was really excited about the idea of experimenting with something that was new to me.
So I decided to include a piano and contact Kevin, wich I had the opportunity to go listen him during a concert he gave a dozen years ago in Paris, and wich he for me is true revelation particular for his rhythmic placement.

I also decided also to bring a double bass. While bassist planned to record made me good fake, I remember that Nir had talked to me about an incredible bass player with whom he played regularly, and lived in Europe. So I contact Phil who had made a significant contribution to the music.
Little by little, all this built itself, and everything was set up until we found ourselves for the session

Oliver continues, and finish about the session.

"I took a month and writing music for this great new band, and bring the material for the session.

I can say that I did not know which direction the music would take before we all were interpreting Nir, Kevin, Phil and myself. And it was really a great joy to see that everything was fine and that everyone could find its place and enjoy the game. 

I can say finally that I am infinitely grateful to Nir, Kevin, and Phil who without them this music would not exist."

Corners
Main Street
Since I Know
Curves And Colors
Day Home
Call
Cecile
Evision

Nir Felder: guitar
Kevin Hays: piano
Phil Donkin: bass

Produced by Olivier Le Goas, and Eva Bauer-Oppelland
Recorded on october 12th - 13th 2015, Mixed and Mastered by Philipp Heck at Bauer Studios, Ludwigsburg
Design by Element-s
Photography by Juan Hitters