Thursday, October 13, 2016

Thomas Gimmonprez Trio - Kaleidoscope (2016)


"After a first recording « Bleu » which found in me a "drummer leader" soul, it seemed crucial to continue my writing work to clarify, shape and amplify this side of my personality. If the transition from sideman to "drummer leader" was not immediate, it nevertheless revealed obvious and exciting. I always liked to serve the music of others by performing as a sideman, but one day I wanted to get into a project from which I could assert my own identity, rich of many aesthetics which I feed.

The pleasure of composing naturally led me to bring forth a new sound palette, rich, colorful and infinite, echo chamber of my own emotion. Concerned about my emotional balance and listening to my own body, I decided to set to music the various states which sometimes cross me, grab me, excite me, paralyze me or electrify me. I appreciate the emotions that flow and especially the moments of release known by all musicians, I like to feel these energy balls floating around on stage.

Inspired by sensations already experienced, I conducted a work which prompted me to paint eleven drawings with different sound identities from which an emotional and musical "kaleidoscope" emerges, which is the mirror of my soul. Here a place resonates, there a breath whispers, farther a taste sensation hatches, elsewhere a vibration between two people comes up…

Attracted by the sound of the Fender Rhodes, I have used this instrument to be able to travel my listeners through my harmonic colors. Persevering with the trio playing, I used again the talents of Jeremie Ternoy (piano and Fender) and Christophe Hache (double-bass) to help me shape this new world of sound.

These fluids, impalpable, communicative and lightning get through us and travel in all our concerts and even beyond... intense moments that I like to share with this global community of musicians." Thomas Grimmonprez

01. Morning Running 3:27
02. Deep Breath 4:18
03. Fragile Balance 5:44
04. The Nap 5:45
05. Rain Dance 4:58
06. Peace of Mind 5:17
07. Meeting Place 5:05
08. Spicy Chocolate 4:12
09. Sweet White Wine 5:11
10. Fresh Wind 4:40
11. Unspoken 4:39

Jérémie Ternoy - piano, fender rhodes
Christophe Hache - double bass
Thomas Gimmonprez - drums