The Purity of the Turf is kind of a "bucket list" moment for Ethan Iverson, who has always wanted to make a record with famous bassist Ron Carter.
Iverson, pianist of the famous trio "The Bad Plus", chose drummer Nasheet Waits to fill out the trio, because Waits represents the avant-garde as well as swing.
Criss Cross records are level playing field, with everyone recording in the same studio in a single day: Thus the sporting title, "The Purity of the Turf".
The repertoire is mostly originals and jazz classics. A surprise highlight is the solo piano tribute to the late Paul Bley, "So Hard it Hurts" by Annette Peacock.
01. The Purity Of The Turf (Ethan Iverson) 4:31
02. Song For My Father (Horace Silver) 5:19
03. Darn That Dream (Jimmy Van Heusen / Edgar DeLange) 4:43
04. Along Came Betty (Benny Golson) 5:45
05. Graduation Day (Ethan Iverson) 3:33
06. Confirmation (Charlie Parker) 6:14
07. Kush (Nasheet Waits) 5:35
08. Sent For You Yesterday (Count Basie / Eddie Durham) 4:55
09. Strange Serenade (Andrew Hill) 4:23
10. Little Waltz (Ron Carter) 5:01
11. Einbahnstrasse (Ron Carter) 5:10
12. So Hard It Hurts (Annette Peacock) 3:18
Ethan Iverson, piano
Ron Carter, bass
Nasheet Waits, drums