Thursday, April 14, 2016

Steve Einerson - Arrival (2012)


Source & Label: Cellar Live
GAB'S RATING: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆  


Steve Einerson is on his way to becoming one of the greatest pianists in the history of jazz. I said it. I mean it.
The evidence is all here, on this CD, his first as a leader. Back when Bud Powell and Art Tatum roamed the earth, it was easier for a jazz pianist to innovate.
All a player had to think about were a few other innovators–or even just one–who’d come before.  And then, assimilate them, and go beyond them.
The music was that young. It’s older, now.
So if you are Steve Einerson, age 38 in 2011, you have a lot more to think about, a lot more seeds within yourself to harvest.
“I think, for me,” says Einerson, “it all starts with Bud Powell. If you really want to learn to speak the language of bop, you have to get with Bud…



1. Nikki's Joy
2. Cookin' At The Colonels
3. I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
4. Here's To You Mrs. Anderson
5. Like A Blues
6. With Love And Squalor
7. Your Song
8. That Sunday, That Summer
9. Fleeting Moments

STEVE EINERSON piano
PAUL GILL bass
PETE VAN NOSTRAND drums