Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Louis Pimentel - The Interstellar Group (2016)


Label: Self Released


This is my first recording project that I have decided to take up in the Summer of 2015. I had enough original music to create an album and great musicians that were available to record it, so I asked "Why not?". A lot of these compositions were written over the course of the two years when I first decided to take up composing. I am so proud on how these tracks have turned out! There are some great moments that have been recorded and I hope that you will enjoy listening as much as we had enjoyed playing it!

Most of these songs were written with an emotional connection that I would like to associate with them. I never felt that composing in its truest sense, should be an exercise but rather a catharsis for displaying a certain emotion.

"Level One" to me sounded like a fresh start where everything is open to interpretation. The piano hook reminds me of going to a temple and cleansing myself of past stresses.

"Searching" follows the same vibe where things are spread out. Shai Golan and Zach Ramacier take beautiful solos that really give the form shape!

"Always" sounds to me like a melancholy love song. It doesn't have the corny cheesing sound of most romantic songs yet retains an emotional connection to love. I always saw it as the end of a love story where things are eventually going to end and you have to accept that fact. I don't know, maybe thats just how I interpreted it based on life experiences. I found it very hard to gives this song a title, until I remember a specific quote from one of my favorite books I read as a kid.   Read more...


1. Level One 06:58
2. Searching 05:45
3. Always (For You) 07:56
4. Stream Of Consciousness 07:40
5. Cosmic Undulation 10:06
6. Pandemonium (Bonus Track) 07:25
   

Louis Pimentel (Tenor Sax, Compositions)
Shai Golan (Alto)
Zach Ramacier (Trumpet)
Adam Hersh (Piano)
Andy McCauley (Bass)
Kirk Portuguez (Drums)


BUY THIS ALBUM