Saturday, May 5, 2018

Lili Añel - Another Place, Another Time


“Another Place, Another Time” is an EP of 6 songs, 4 penned by Añel and 2 covers. One cover, “Traffic Jam In A One Horse Town” was written by her friend Philadelphia guitarist Jef Lee Johnson who passed in 2012. “I decided when Jef left us that I would always include one of his songs on my records. I know he felt he wasn’t heard while he was still here. His music is so amazing and has had such an effect on me, I want to share it with the world. My hope is that people will seek his music out after hearing my renditions.” The second cover, “It’s Nobody’s Fault But Mine” which Lili first heard on a Nina Simone recording, is a gospel hymn about deliverance, written by Blind Willie Johnson. Anel’s take includes a bridge she added which includes the line “…if I sing my heart is rejoicing…” putting a positive spin on the mostly fundamental lyric, along with her uplifting vocal delivery. 


Another Place, Another Time’s songs were recorded live with minimal overdubs. They lend themselves to being more open, having space” says Lili. Despite a more trimmed down approach, the songs seem to reach further than on recent recordings. One of the ways she achieved this was by not over-thinking her approach vocally and allowing the music to come more easily. But she did stretch herself, singing in her falsetto on Jef Lee Johnson’s Traffic Jam… and improvises at the end of “I’ll Never Forget You”, both approaches she has not done before. On I’ll Never Forget You she states “I sang what I heard in my head, except it didn’t have any words; I was singing a feeling, my feeling about Jef and how he and his music affected me.” 

The CD’s title song, “Another Place, Another Time” is a samba, featuring Philadelphia’s renowned Tenor Saxophone Player, Larry McKenna. It is a story of a past love past and a star-crossed lover’s hope for one last rendezvous. “My sister Barbara and I co-wrote the lyric. I began writing this song 3 years ago. The entire song was complete, the melody and phrasing were very strong and made it difficult for me to come up with a lyric, a story. Barbara came up with this story of two ex-lovers who meet again by chance, when attending a party with their new partners. The memories flood and the thought of a possible interlude between them presents when their eyes meet. Its quite cinematic”. 


“Forgotten” is a ballad one could imagine performed on a Broadway stage. A play on words, “Forgotten” goes back and forth between the main character’s refusal to forget a hurtful incident, and her subsequently feeling “forgotten” by her partner.

“I Don’t Care (Groucho’s Blues)” another lyric co-written with Lili’s sister, is light-hearted and whimsical, a Jazz-shuffle that moves between the singer not caring about most things (even the loss of a baseball game by a favorite team) as long as the caring is returned by the one she loves.

“I’ll Never Forget You” is Añel’s moving tribute to her friend Jef Lee Johnson. “I began writing this song in hopes to sing it at his inurnment, but I could not finish it, it was too close to me.” Jef left a large catalogue of music, I listen to his songs and feel like he is still here.”

Personnel on this recording includes Dale Melton, once again joining Añel as co-producer, engineer and piano/b3 player. Philadelphia’s premiere bassist, Chico Huff, and Delaware’s Jonathan Whitney on drums and percussion. “I am very lucky to work with these musicians. They truly help bring out the heart of these songs”.


This collection of songs sound like scenes out of a film or collection of short stories. Extremely visual and descriptive, embodying tales of love, both ill-fated and light hearted, cherishing the love of a departed friend, self-affirmation and the difference in perception from what appears to what is. Lili Añel once again delivers both as a songwriter and a singer, expanding her own boundaries both vocally and as a songwriter as she continues to fulfill her audience as well as attract new fans.