Friday, November 10, 2017

Seal - Standards [Deluxe Edition] (2017)




Standards – combining his unique voice with some of the greatest jazz standards and swing classics ever written. An artist who’s been at the top of his game throughout his 30-year career, Seal’s 10th studio album breathes life into iconic hits, paying tribute to legends including Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and Nina Simone.

As may be apparent by the title, this is an album of jazz standards and swing classics, featuring such tracks as Luck Be A Lady, I Put A Spell On You, I’ve Got You Under My Skin and It Was A Very Good Year. To be fair to Seal he has reached for some level of authenticity by collaborating with some musicians who have performed with the greats, including pianist Randy Waldman (who toured with Sinatra), bass player Chuck Berghofe (Ella Fitzgerald) and drummer Greg Fields (Stevie Wonder). The songs were also recorded in the Capitol Records in Los Angeles.

Seal’s new album brings the glamour of Old Hollywood straight to the present. It is a natural successor to his series of soul records, made a decade ago which sold over 5 million copies around the world. ‘Standards’ hears Seal’s signature, velvety warm vocals bring to life classics made popular by Frank Sinatra (such as Luck Be A Lady, I’ve Got You Under My Skin and It Was A Very Good Year), Ella Fitzgerald (I’m Beginning to See The Light) and Nina Simone (I Put A Spell on You). Elsewhere, there are lush orchestral moments captured on Smile (Charlie Chaplin) and the Cole Porter gem, Love For Sale.

In a career spanning three decades, racking up over 30 million records sales worldwide and a string of Grammy, Brit and Ivor Novello awards along the way, Seal continues to shine as one of the world’s brightest music stars. His new album is full of musical gems which glisten when brought to life with his stunning voice.


1. Luck Be A Lady
2. Autumn Leaves
3. I Put A Spell On You
4. They Can’t Take That Away From Me
5. Anyone Who Knows What Love Is
6. Love For Sale
7. My Funny Valentine
8. I’ve Got You Under My Skin
9. Smile
10. I’m Beginning To See The Light
11. It Was A Very Good Year
12. The Nearness Of You
13. Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
14. Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting)