Saturday, June 18, 2016

Ricky Rodriguez Group - Looking Beyond (2016)


Label:
Source: Jazz Speaks
Genre: Modern Creative/Electric Jazz
GAB's Rating: ★★★★★


No Secrets: Ricky Rodriguez Speaks 

 
Ricky Rodriguez, a bassist with a heavy history of touring with the greats, will bring his own band to The Jazz Gallery for the release of his first album as a leader. Raised and schooled in Puerto Rico, Ricky has been on the New York scene for almost eleven years. Looking Beyond (Destiny Records) presents the inimitable lineup of Adam Rogers (guitar), Luis Perdomo (piano), Myron Walden (alto saxophone and bass clarinet), and Obed Calvaire (drums). The album also features special guests David Sanchez (tenor saxophone) and Pete Rodriguez (trumpet). We caught up with Ricky by phone, and talked about his composition and arrangement style, the backstory behind the formation of his quintet, and his philosophy on approaching the New York scene as a young musician.

The Jazz Gallery: Your last gig at the Gallery was in April 2015, with Ben Wendel, Fabian Almazan, and Henry Cole, where you reworked several tunes from “Looking Beyond” with an electric approach. How did the show go down?

Ricky Rodriguez: It went well, man. As a double bass player and electric bass player, I respect the instruments’ different sounds, from classic and acoustic to electric and crazy, you know what I mean? I picked some tunes from the record, and combined them with new ones that I was writing for that particular project. It worked great, because the bass lines I wrote on acoustic, I can play on electric too, and it doesn’t sound out of context. When I compose, I try to think of those days when the airline might not let me travel with my acoustic, so I have to bring the electric. So I try to make my music work for both. Except for when we play straight-ahead jazz of course; I respect that sound so much that I have to play acoustic. But the rest of my music works fine for both. I can play with Fender Rhodes or acoustic piano, and it sounds good either way. So with the electric band, we had a good time, and people liked it. For this week, it will totally be like the real shit, you know? [laughs]. The ‘real band,’ with the acoustic instruments, so I’m really excited about that.  Keep on Reading...


1. The Real Truth 09:18
2. Living 08:50
3. The Last Chance 08:10
4. Intro To Introspection 00:42
5. Introspection 09:03
6. Looking Beyond 09:09
7. Stress vs. Relaxation 06:09
8. A Quiet Refuge 06:48
9. The Humblness 08:59
10.And Then... 01:31


Ricky Rodriguez: Bass
Adam Rogers: Guitar
Luis Perdomo: Piano, Fender Rhodes
Obed Calvaire: Drums
Myron Walden: Alto Saxophone, Bass Clarinet

With Special Guests:
David Sanchez: Tenor Saxophone
Pete Rodriguez: Trumpet
Obanilu Allende: Barril De Bomba


BUY IT @ 

http://www.destinyrecordsmusic.com/

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/rickyrodriguezgroup